Doctors who treat MENORRHAGIA or similar ailments belong to following departments:
To Find relevant doctors click on the department name

Gynaecology and Obstetrics;;

Gynaecology and Obstetrics


Menorrhagia is the most common type of abnormal uterine bleeding characterized by heavy and prolonged menstrual bleeding occurring at regular intervals over several cycles or lasting for more than 7 days. With menorrhagia, every period causes enough blood loss and cramping, restricting normal activities to some extent.



  • • Excessive bleeding necessitating use of one or more sanitary pads or tampons every hour for several consecutive hours
  • • Bleeding for longer than a week
  • • Passing blood clots with menstrual flow
  • • Symptoms of anemia, such as tiredness, fatigue or shortness of breath


• Hormonal (particularly estrogen and progesterone) imbalance
• Pelvic inflammatory disease
• Uterine fibroids
• Abnormal pregnancy (i.e., miscarriage, ectopic)
• Infection, tumors, or polyps in the pelvic cavity
• Certain birth control devices (IUDs)
• Bleeding or platelet disorders
• Adenomyosis
• Polycystic ovaries (PCOD)
• Liver, kidney, or thyroid disease


- Clinical Evaluation
- Blood tests
- Pap test
- Ultrasound
- Endometrial Biopsy
- Hysteroscopy
- Dilation and curettage (D & C)


Treatment for menorrhagia may include:

Medications like Iron supplements, NSAIDs, Tranexamic acid, Oral contraceptives, Oral Progesterone. Other options include Hormonal IUD, D & C, Uterine artery embolization, Endometrial ablation and Hysterectomy.

You may also like to learn about:

Uterine fibroid
Polycystic Ovarian disease (PCOD)
Pelvic Inflammatory disease (PID)
Endometrial hyperplasia
Postmenopausal bleeding

If you want to search Gynaecologist and Obstetricians in different cities then click on the appropriate link below
....and many more, For searching doctors in other cities go to our Doctor Search and seacrh by name , specialization and locality...etc
Recent Patient's Queries for  MENORRHAGIA
To connect with patients with similar ailments:
click on the relevant patients queries below or to join a new patient community now Click Here

To connect with fellow patients click on the query subject
Latest Activity

Heavy periods with clots after HSG test - What is the cause?
I want a baby so I done HSG test last year but after that I get heavy priod wit...
Female 37 , Kolkata


1 Day Ago

Can I go for endometrial ablation?
Hello Iam 43 years old. Due to heavy bleeding,a Mirena was inserted in me 2 yea...
Female 43 ,


2 Day Ago