Doctors who treat
or similar ailments belong to following departments:
To Find relevant doctors click on the department name
ABOUT THE DISEASE
It is mostly an aging related disease caused due to clouding of the lens of the eye. The lens is inside the eye and changes size of the pupil. The lens can enlarge to let more light enter the eye in dark environments and contract the size of the pupil to let in bright light.
Until a person is around age 45, the shape of the lens is able to change. This allows the lens to focus on an object, whether it is close or far away.
With age, proteins in the lens begin to break down and the lens becomes cloudy, preventing light from passing through normally. The vision then becomes blurred. This condition is known as a cataract.
TYPES OF CATARACT INCLUDE:
- Age-related cataracts: Approximately 50 percent of people over age 65 have cataracts.
- Congenital cataracts: Babies born with cataracts.
- Secondary cataracts: These may develop as a result of other diseases, such as diabetes, or long-term use of toxic substances, certain medications (such as corticosteroids), ultraviolet light, and radiation.
- Traumatic cataracts: These can form after injury to the eye.
The adult cataracts develop very slowly and take time to develop fully, however some of the following symptoms start showing early:
- Being sensitive to glare.
- Cloudy, fuzzy, foggy, or filmy vision.
- Problems driving at night because of distraction from headlights.
- Loss of color intensity.
- Double vision.
- Seeing halos around lights.
Eye examination by the Opthalmologist.
Initially this can be managed by glasses and better lighting, however later a surgical intervention is required.
- Cataract Surgery: This treatment removes the cloudy lens and replaces it with a substitute lens (Intraocular lens, or IOL).
You may also like to learn about:
If you want to search Opthalmologists in different cities then click on the appropriate link below
....and many more,For searching doctors in other cities go to our Doctor Search and seacrh by name , specialization and locality...etc
Recent Patient's Queries for CATARACT
To connect with
CATARACT patients with similar ailments:
click on the relevant patients queries below or to join a new patient community now
To connect with fellow patients click on the query subject
Explore more diseases
....and many more,For searching other disease go to our Disease Search and seacrh by disease name
|Search Doctors by Area in
Grab ask4healthcare membership
- Create:Online Health Records
- Connect:With doctors & fellow patients
- Get 2nd opinion services
- Save:Upto 30% on medicines,Dr Consultation fees,Hospitals and Diagnostic Labs
Best Doctors for
in various cities