Best Oncologist For Cancer colon in Kolkata
Doctors who treat
or similar ailments belong to following departments:
To Find relevant doctors click on the department name
ABOUT THE DISEASE
The colon, also known as the large intestine, is the last section of the digestive tract. It is five to six feet long — the last eight to ten inches of which is called the rectum. After food is digested in the stomach and nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine, solid wastes from this process move into the colon, where they remain usually for a day or two until they are passed out of the body.
Colon cancer is a cancer that originates in the large intestine (called the colon). Rectal cancer is cancer of the rectum (which is the part of the large intestine closest to the anus). They are often referred to together as colorectal cancer.
Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths, however if detected early enough, it is usually treatable and not life threatening.
Most colorectal cancers begin as a polyp, a harmless growth in the wall of the colon. However, as a polyp gets larger, it can develop into a cancer. Some of the following symptoms are associated with this disease:
- • Bleeding from rectum or Blood in stool
- • Change in the shape or consistency of stool (such as diarrhea or constipation)
- • Cramping pain in lower abdomen
- • Feeling of discomfort or an urge to have a bowel movement Weakness or fatigue
- • Anemia
- • Unintended weight loss
Colorectal cancer starts with polyps, or growths of the colon lining. However not all polyps become colon cancer. Polyps known as adenomas are the precursors of colorectal cancer. Some other risk factors associated with this disease are:
- High fat, low fiber diets
- Increasing age - Above 50
- Chronic inflammatory conditions of the colon (ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease)
- A family or personal history of colorectal cancer, adenomatous polyps or hereditary polyp syndromes
- Physical examination, including Digital Rectal Exam
- Faecal occult blood test
- Tumor markers, including carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) and CA 19-9.
A regular screening for everyone above 50 is advised. With screening colon cancer can be detected before symptoms develop. This is when the cancer is most curable.
Colorectal cancer requires surgery (Colon resection / Colectomy - depending upon the stage of Cancer) in nearly all cases for a complete cure. Radiation and chemotherapy are sometimes used in addition to surgery. Less than 5 percent of all colorectal cancer patients require a colostomy, the surgical construction of an artificial excretory opening from the colon.
You may also like to learn about:
Inflammatory Bowel disease
Best Doctors from ONCOLOGY DEPARTMENT in Kolkata
Top Doctors from ONCOLOGY DEPARTMENT associated with various hospitals in Kolkata
More Doctors.... Go to Our Doctor Search and seacrh by name , specialization and locality...etc
Recent Patient's Queries for Cancer colon
To connect with
Cancer colon patients with similar ailments:
click on the relevant patients queries below or to join a new patient community now
To connect with fellow patients click on the query subject
Explore more diseases
....and many more,For searching other disease go to our Disease Search and seacrh by disease name
|Search Doctors by Area in
Grab ask4healthcare membership
- Create:Online Health Records
- Connect:With doctors & fellow patients
- Get 2nd opinion services
- Save:Upto 30% on medicines,Dr Consultation fees,Hospitals and Diagnostic Labs