Best Dermatologist For Hair Fall/Loss in MADURAI
ABOUT THE DISEASE
Hair Fall / Loss leading to baldness (Medical term - Alopecia) can be triggered due to a host of reasons. The normal cycle of hair growth lasts for 2 to 3 years. Each hair grows approximately 1 centimetre / month during this phase. About 90 percent of the hair on one's scalp is growing at any given time and the rest of the hair are in resting phase. After 3 to 4 months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow.
It is normal to shed some hair (upto 100) each day. However, some people may experience excessive (more than normal) hair loss. Hair loss of this type can affect men, women and children.
The most common form of baldness is called male-pattern baldness. It is also called androgenetic alopecia. Men who have this type of hair loss usually have a family history of baldness. In male-pattern baldness, hair loss typically results in a receding hair line and baldness on the top of the head. Women may develop female-pattern baldness. In this form of hair loss, the hair can become thin over the entire scalp.
Abnormal amount of hair loss, specially at a younger age.
A host of reasons can lead to excessive hair loss such as:
- - An illness or a major surgery: such as Radiation therapy, where the hair grows back on its own once the treatment is over.
- - Hormonal problems: eg. overactive or underactive thyroid gland, androgens and estrogens imbalance
- - Child birth: Many women notice hair loss about 3 months after they've had a baby.
- - Medications: This type of hair loss improves when you stop taking the medicine. Medicines that can cause hair loss include blood thinners (also called anticoagulants), medicines used for gout, high blood pressure or heart problems, vitamin A (if too much is taken), birth control pills and antidepressants.
- - Infections: Such as Fungal infections of the scalp
- - Underlying disease, such as lupus or diabetes.
- Medical history.
- Physical examination to look for other causes of hair loss.
- Blood tests or a biopsy of scalp may be needed.
Depends on the underlying cause.
- Medicine (eg. Minoxidil) or a gel
- Wig, hair weave
- Hair transplant
You may also like to learn about:
Top Doctors from DERMATOLOGY/SKIN DEPARTMENT associated with various hospitals in MADURAI
More Doctors.... Go to Our Doctor Search and seacrh by name , specialization and locality...etc
Recent Patient's Queries for Hair Fall/Loss
To connect with
Hair Fall/Loss patients with similar ailments:
click on the relevant patients queries below or to join a new patient community now
To connect with fellow patients click on the query subject
Need Hair fall treatment
Hair fall treatment . Need treatment to prevent hair fall . ...
Male 32 , Tezpur
20 Mins Ago
Explore more diseases
....and many more,For searching other disease go to our Disease Search and seacrh by disease name
Grab ask4healthcare membership
- Create:Online Health Records
- Connect:With doctors & fellow patients
- Get 2nd opinion services
- Save:Upto 30% on medicines,Dr Consultation fees,Hospitals and Diagnostic Labs