Dermatologist For Hair Fall/Loss in VELLORE
Doctors who treat Hair Fall/Loss
or similar ailments belong to following departments:
To Find relevant doctors click on the department name
Hair Fall / Loss leading to baldness (Medical term - Alopecia) can be triggered due to a host of reasons. The normal cycle of hair growth lasts for 2 to 3 years. Each hair grows approximately 1 centimetre / month during this phase. About 90 percent of the hair on one's scalp is growing at any given time and the rest of the hair are in resting phase. After 3 to 4 months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow.
It is normal to shed some hair (upto 100) each day. However, some people may experience excessive (more than normal) hair loss. Hair loss of this type can affect men, women and children.
The most common form of baldness is called male-pattern baldness. It is also called androgenetic alopecia. Men who have this type of hair loss usually have a family history of baldness. In male-pattern baldness, hair loss typically results in a receding hair line and baldness on the top of the head. Women may develop female-pattern baldness. In this form of hair loss, the hair can become thin over the entire scalp.
Abnormal amount of hair loss, specially at a younger age.
A host of reasons can lead to excessive hair loss such as:
- - An illness or a major surgery: such as Radiation therapy, where the hair grows back on its own once the treatment is over.
- - Hormonal problems: eg. overactive or underactive thyroid gland, androgens and estrogens imbalance
- - Child birth: Many women notice hair loss about 3 months after they've had a baby.
- - Medications: This type of hair loss improves when you stop taking the medicine. Medicines that can cause hair loss include blood thinners (also called anticoagulants), medicines used for gout, high blood pressure or heart problems, vitamin A (if too much is taken), birth control pills and antidepressants.
- - Infections: Such as Fungal infections of the scalp
- - Underlying disease, such as lupus or diabetes.
- Medical history.Click here for Treatment Methods
- Physical examination to look for other causes of hair loss.
- Blood tests or a biopsy of scalp may be needed.
You may also like to learn about:
To Post your Hair Fall/Loss
related query and to get best advice/cost quotes online
Doctors from DERMATOLOGY/SKIN DEPARTMENT associated with various hospitals in VELLORE
More Doctors.... Go to Our Doctor Search and seacrh by name , specialization and locality...etc
To connect with
click on the relevant patients queries below or to join a new patient community now Click Here
patients with similar ailments:
Explore more diseases
....and many more,For searching other disease go to our Disease Search and seacrh by disease name
Save upto 30% on treatment
Few of the EXPERTS on ask4healthcare...